Hand holding needle and syringe. Used in labiaplasty procedure.

BOOK AN APPOINTMENT ONLINE

...or Enquire Here

Labia Fillers

Labial fillers are used to increase the volume of labia majora – the bigger, outer genital lips. Loss of volume in the outer vaginal lips is a common issue in women as they age especially after childbirth, menopause, and extreme weight loss. The labia may change shape and become more floppy, lax and less full or deflated and they can become more noticeable, especially if they’re darker or hang down past the edges of the labia majora. Aside from appearance, the labia majora act as a kind of cushion during sexual intercourse. The loss of tone and firmness can cause discomfort during sex because they are unable to protect you from excessive friction and impact. There may also be loss of sensation during intercourse as the vaginal skin is drier.

Women who desire their labia majora to be fuller, more toned and firmer opt to have labial filler.

FAQS

There are several options for regaining the volume to the labia majora. 

  • Fat filler is done with patients own fat, which is usually taken from the inner thigh. Fat filler is natural and will not produce an allergic reaction. About 60% of fat will be re-absorbed, the other 40% will give a long-lasting result.
  • Hyaluronic acid is a substance, which is naturally present in the human body. It has a very special ability to bind water hence it makes the tissue moist, smooth and assists with movement (joint and muscles). Hyaluronic acid is present in all cells. As we get older cells lose the ability to produce hyaluronic acid and cells lose the ability to hold water, therefore, tissue loses its elasticity, smooth and plump appearance. The injection of hyaluronic acid acts as a space filler by binding to water, it increases moisture and decreases dryness. The injection of hyaluronic acid into the labia gives labia the desired volume and improves the appearance and also increases sensation during sex.
  • Platelet rich plasma injection leads to better vascularization, new collagen and elastin fibres and peripheral nerve regeneration. The vagina becomes tighter, there is better lubrication, fewer infections and better sensitivity, normalization of pH and less vaginal mucosa.

Often a combination of different filler types is injected, for example, PRP is combined with hyaluronic acid or fat.

Your gynaecologist will usually have a preference for a particular hyaluronic acid filler based on its current availability and quality of filler. To use fat for filling, it has to be taken from the patients’ inner thighs. Usually, about 80-120 cc of fat is obtained.

The amount of filling will be discussed in each case and will depend on the size of the labia, degree of sagginess and patients’ wishes. If the fat or PRP is used in filling some of it will be reabsorbed after injections.

No, your gynaecologist will use local anaesthetic injections for this procedure and will ask you to apply a numbing cream to the labia before the procedure.

You’ll see results immediately, with minimal to no swelling following the injections.  The effects last for 12 to 24 months. There is no recovery time needed. You’ll be able to return to everyday activities right away.

The procedure will take about 15 minutes if hyaluronic acid is used and about 30-45 minutes if PRP and fat is used.

It is a safe procedure and side effects are rare. The chemicals used are produced by our bodies and thus the risk is small. Swelling, redness, pain, itching, discolourations may occur. Hyaluronic acid filler very rarely may migrate from the injection site and give an undesirable appearance. Rarely there may be a reaction to the hyaluronic acid filler.

Labial fillers are a relatively new aesthetic medical procedure and are best performed by a specialist who has been trained to perform them, is a skilled surgeon and performs such procedures regularly. Dr Novikova is an advanced minimally invasive gynaecologic surgeon. She is also the first gynaecologist in South Africa certified by European Society of Aesthetic Gynaecology. She has the experience of carrying out many successful labial filler procedures.